It’s sunny and hot, and the kids are out of school. Make the most of the summer fun with your preschooler while observing these summer safety tips.
Some simple tips to keep your children safe in summer are:
1. Upon heading out the door apply sun screen. An SPF of 15 to 30++ is considered the best for the Indian summers. For your preschooler, choose a product designed for children. An SPF of 15-30 with protection against both UVA and UVB rays will be the right choice. You should usually apply sunscreen to your children 30 minutes before they go outside. You will need to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours and after your child has been swimming or playing hard.
2. Wear appropriate clothing. Have your kid wear light colored clothes and carry the essentials like eye gear, hat and sun-screen if you are heading for an outing.
3. On a hot day, a pool is very tempting for both kids and adults. Make sure you have water proof sunblock on your kids if theyâ€™re in the water.
4. Take caution of tick bites when you go to a park or you are just hiking through the woods. Ticks are responsible for a variety of illnesses. Have protective clothing and use tick repellant.
4. Heat is the word of the season. And this heat sucks the water right out of your system. It’s very important to stay hydrated in the hot summer heat. Provide your children with plenty of water, juice, or popsicles to combat the heat.
5. Prevent Heat Exhaustion. This can occur in kids who are extremely active. So avoid playing outside during peak sun hours (10 am- 4 pm)
6. When you are picnicking outdoors pack a bag that includes extra sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, a small first-aid kit, plenty of water or other drinks, snacks etc.